If you’re interested in purchasing a new bed, a platform bed might be the perfect way to get a good night’s sleep.
It’s got many advantages over a regular bed.
What’s the difference between a platform bed and a regular bed?
Platform beds are lower to the floor than regular beds.
The average height of a platform bed is 18 inches, while the average bed will be 25 inches off the ground.
Traditionally, a platform bed is minimalistic and doesn’t have a headboard, but there are many creative and stylish designs to choose from for a more modern take on this type of bed.
If you’re interested in purchasing a platform bed, then it’s important to consider its pros and cons.
- 1 Why You Should Make Your Next Bed A Platform Bed
- 2 Things To Bear In Mind Before Purchasing Platform Beds
- 3 Platform Bed Vs. Box Spring: Which One Should You Buy?
- 4 Do Platform Beds Squeak?
- 5 Are Platform Beds Really Durable?
- 6 Related Questions
- 7 Conclusion
Why You Should Make Your Next Bed A Platform Bed
If you’re interested in purchasing a new bed, you might wonder if a platform bed is a viable choice.
One of the reasons why these beds have become so popular is because they’re perfect for memory foam mattresses, which have also grown in popularity with people seeking greater comfort and support in a mattress.
With that in mind, here are some platform bed advantages to consider before you go shopping.
They’re Highly Versatile
A platform bed can be used with any mattress. Even a memory foam mattress can easily and quickly be placed on this platform bed frame without a hassle.
This is especially beneficial if you already have a mattress and don’t want to purchase a new one.
They Don’t Require Box Springs
You don’t have to spend lots of money on a box spring or other type of foundation.
Once you have your platform bed, you’re good to go, so this can save you between $50 and $250, which is what you’d spend for a box spring.
They Give You Extra Storage Space
Everyone needs a bit of extra storage, and this is especially the case if you live in a small apartment.
You might wonder how a platform bed can increase your storage space because it’s so low to the ground.
In fact, some people say that its lack of under-bed storage is actually a reason not to purchase a platform bed.
However, you can find platform beds that have drawers or compartments built into them, which makes it easier to prevent clutter from forming underneath the bed.
Instead of placing items you don’t use every day underneath your bed, an organized storage compartment that comes with your platform bed can be a game-changer.
So, if storage is what you’re after, make sure you find a platform bed that caters to this need.
They Keep You Cool
If you battle with staying cool during the night while you sleep, then a platform bed could definitely help you.
While it’s obviously still important to choose the right breathable fabrics for your pajamas and bedding, a platform bed that has slats underneath your bed allows air to circulate through it, and this keeps your mattress cool instead of turning your bed into a heat trap.
In addition, having more ventilation can help to eliminate common mattress problems such as mold, especially if you live in humid conditions.
You Can Choose Their Height
If you’re suffering from a health condition such as arthritis, you might worry that a platform bed might not be suitable for you because of its lower height as this makes it more difficult to climb out of.
As mentioned earlier, a platform bed will be approximately 18 inches in height, which might make it feel a bit more difficult to get out of in the mornings.
However, that doesn’t have to put you off-platform beds because you can easily deal with this problem.
Using bed risers can easily add a few inches of height to your platform bed, making it almost the same height as a regular bed.
They Come In Different Types
There are many different platform bed types to choose from. For starters, you can choose different designs, whether minimalist or contemporary, to suit your home’s décor needs.
But in addition to that, there are also different ways in which platform beds are built. Let’s take a look at them.
- Solid surfaces: These platform beds have holes in them to encourage better air circulation. They’re best for you if you want your mattress to feel firmer.
- Slats: A platform bed with slats means that the platform bed’s surface has slats in it made up of evenly-spaced wood or metal. This makes the bed feel more flexible while also improves the air circulation underneath the bed.
- Metal frames: This isn’t as common as wood supports, but metal is durable and sturdy, so it’s a modern variation on the platform bed. In addition, metal is lighter than wood and easier to keep clean. If you own pets, metal is probably a wiser choice to prevent scuffs and scratches.
- Headboards and footboards: Traditionally, platform beds don’t have headboards or footboards. However, by shopping around you’ll find a modern platform bed that does have these included. It’s clear to see that you can customize your platform bed to suit your needs better, which is a fantastic bonus if you want to invest in your bed and enjoy it for many years to come.
- Upholstered platform beds: These are usually made out of wood and decorated in fabrics, which makes them much more creative and personalized than a traditional platform bed.
Things To Bear In Mind Before Purchasing Platform Beds
Although they have many advantages, platform beds aren’t for everyone.
There are some important things to consider before going ahead with your purchase.
They’re Not Easy To Move
While any bed can prove difficult to move around, it’s especially difficult to move a platform bed because it is heavy, so once you’ve chosen where you want it in your bedroom, leave it there.
If you have to move homes in the future, moving a platform bed will be a bit of a nuisance because you have to take it apart and then assemble it when you’re in your new location.
This is important to bear in mind before purchasing this type of bed, although it’s certainly not a complete deal-breaker as there are ways around it and dissembling the bed might actually make it feel easier to transport.
They Can Contribute To Injuries
If you’re clumsy or spatially challenged, you might find that the platform bed’s lower base can present you with some risks, such as hurting your knee or stubbing your toe, when you get out of bed to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night.
They Can Be Expensive
A platform bed with all the frills can prove to be expensive. That said, if you want a platform bed without breaking the bank, stick to a standard type.
It can be as budget-friendly as a box spring bed and give you what you need.
Platform Bed Vs. Box Spring: Which One Should You Buy?
If you’re not sure if you should choose a platform bed or box spring, then it’s important to look at their differences. Let’s start off with their definitions.
- A platform bed is made of a wooden frame that’s been raised. It can be a solid frame or have wooden slats that create a platform, hence its name, so that the mattress can go on top of it. Any mattress can fit a platform bed, which makes it very convenient, especially if you want to purchase a platform bed without buying a new mattress at the same time.
- A box spring is a bed base. It’s made of a wooden frame that contains springs. Your mattress will rest on this frame. The springs help to absorb your body weight so that the bed can support you better. In some cases, the use of springs in a mattress can make you feel like the mattress itself is softer, so they do have their benefits.
Now that we’ve looked at their definitions, it’s clear that there’s no simple answer when it comes to deciding which one is better.
Let’s take a deeper look at how these beds fare when it comes to your specific needs. Which one is better for you?
If You Move Around A Lot During Sleep, Choose A Platform Bed
If you’re a restless sleeper, then a platform bed is probably better than a box spring. These beds tend to be very sturdy.
A box spring tends to make your movements more pronounced because it adds more flexibility to your mattress, as Sleep Boutique reports.
If You Have Aches And Pains, Choose A Box Spring
A platform bed will make your mattress feel a little firmer, but this could be problematic if you have aches and pains.
While sometimes a harder mattress can help to give you the right support your muscles and bones need for greater comfort, this can backfire at other times because it can feel too hard for you.
If You Want Greater Versatility, Use A Platform Bed
The great thing about a platform bed is that you can use pretty much any mattress on it, but a box spring can be a little trickier.
It’s usually more ideal to purchase a box spring with a mattress because it needs to be combined with a good-quality mattress, as Sleep Buffs reports.
A combination mattress and box spring deal can, therefore, help to make your life easier, but it will cost you more.
If You Want More Bounce, Choose A Box Spring
Some people want more bounce in their mattresses, which is understandable.
In this case, a box spring is a better choice because a traditional box spring with an innerspring mattress will give a good bounce.
Do Platform Beds Squeak?
The question of whether or not platform beds squeak depends on how they’re made.
Generally speaking, when you purchase a platform bed that’s made of solid wood, it won’t squeak.
This is mainly because you don’t require the box spring that contains springs that can make a noise.
The biggest reason why beds would squeak is that their frames are not tight enough.
This causes their side rails and headboards to make contact and squeeze against each other, creating noise.
When purchasing a platform bed, make sure you choose durability first. How it’s built goes a long way in helping to prevent squeaks in the future!
Besides choosing solid wood construction, a good tip is to choose a platform bed that has strong connectors in its frame which don’t make use of glue and staple construction, as Savvy Rest points out because these tend to become squeaky over time.
If you’ve purchased a platform bed that has started squeaking, the good news is that you can easily fix it.
- Check all the bolts and screws in the bed frame. If any of them are loose, that could be the reason for the squeaking, so you want to tighten them properly.
- The above step might not completely solve your squeaking issue, so once you’ve tightened all the bolts and screws on your platform bed test it to see if it still squeaks. If it does, you should undo all the screws that secure the legs to the platform frame and scrape a bar of soap against them. Soap will help to create a buffer and lubrication between the frame and screws. You want to cover the screws entirely in soap before putting them back. If you don’t want to use soap, you could use some beeswax. You can also put a piece of fabric between the platform frame and the bed’s leg, as wikiHow reports. Make sure these pieces of fabric are as large as the legs of the bed so that they don’t stick out.
Are Platform Beds Really Durable?
One of the best qualities of platform beds is that they’re durable.
However, you need to look for certain features in a platform bed to ensure that it’s made well and will last you a long time. These features include:
- It has real wood slats. As mentioned earlier, real wood will prevent annoying issues such as squeaking in the platform bed frame.
- It has a center rail from the top to the bottom of the bed. This is important to have in a platform bed because it ensures greater strength. The slats will end up sagging to some degree, especially after many years of use, so the center rail is a must to make them less prone to this. In addition, if the center rail isn’t giving enough support, this can cause you to end up rolling to the middle of the bed, as Bedrooms And More reports, so that’s something to look out for when purchasing a new bed.
- It has center support legs. These should go all the way to the floor for extra support.
How do you know if your bed should have a box spring?
If the bed frame is made of slats that connect the bed’s sides or solid panels, it doesn’t need a box spring.
If it has rail-like supports on the sides of the frame and no supports in the middle, on the other hand, it needs a box spring, as Hunker reports.
Can you use a platform bed with a box spring?
Although it’s not required, you can use a platform and box spring together. It can be useful to do this if you want your platform bed to have extra height.
How much does a good-quality platform bed cost?
The cost of platform beds varies. If you’re looking for a good-quality upholstered platform bed, you can expect to pay around $1,500 or more for it.
But, for something more budget-friendly, you can find a platform bed that costs no more than a few hundred dollars.
There are many good reasons why you should purchase a platform bed, but make sure you bear in mind some important considerations.
These include possible squeaking issues that could come up as well as how to ensure that your platform bed will be durable – before you splurge on a new bed and discover that it’s made of low quality.
By reading this article, you’ll be able to choose the right platform bed for your specific needs and know when it’s better to opt for one instead of a box spring.
Happy bed shopping!
Last Updated on