If you are in a hurry and just want to find out what the best mattress for sciatica is, then we recommend the LUCID 10in. Hybrid Mattress as the best one.
For those suffering with sciatica, lower back and leg pain can make sleep an issue.
A good mattress will help reduce pressure on the nerve and discs in the lower back. The following guide and reviews will help you find the best mattress for sciatica.
In this article, we’re going to review the following mattresses:
- Classic Brands Cool Gel 2.0 Ultimate Gel 14in. Memory Foam Mattress
- LUCID 10in. Hybrid Mattress – Bamboo Charcoal And Aloe Vera Infused Memory Foam
- Signature Sleep Memoir 8in. Memory Foam Mattress
- Live And Sleep Memory Foam Mattress
- Linenspa 8in. Memory Foam And Innerspring Hybrid Mattress
- 1 Mattresses for Sciatica – Buyer’s Guide
- 2 Top 5 Best Mattresses for Sciatica
- 2.1 Classic Brands Cool Gel 2.0 Ultimate Gel 14in. Memory Foam Mattress
- 2.2 LUCID 10in. Hybrid Mattress – Bamboo Charcoal and Aloe Vera Infused Memory Foam
- 2.3 Signature Sleep Memoir 8in. Memory Foam Mattress
- 2.4 Live and Sleep Memory Foam Mattress
- 2.5 Linenspa 8in. Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress
- 3 Conclusion
Mattresses for Sciatica – Buyer’s Guide
As a sciatica sufferer, there are certain factors to keep in mind when selecting a mattress. The right mattress can give you a good night’s sleep. While the wrong mattress will put pressure on your back, worsening the sciatica.
We laid out some features to consider when shopping for a mattress for sciatica pain.
Pressure Relief and Support
This may be the number one factor to look for. Pressure is a root cause of sciatica pain. Lying down into any mattress causes your body to sink. Mattresses with poor pressure relief can misalign the spine and irritate your body.
Proper pressure relief allows the body to settle better. Memory foam, especially with a hybrid mattress, can help with this as well as keep the spine aligned. This removes pressure on the sciatica nerve for a more comfortable sleep experience.
Various parts of the body need different support levels. Our feet and heads don’t need much support as they don’t put too much pressure on the bed.
Yet, our hips and backs build up pressure when we lie down. So, a quality mattress should have firmer support around those areas. This will help reduce the pressure on the hips and back while also keeping the lumbar straight.
Be sure to learn more about a mattress’s support levels before buying.
Firmness is hard to address when finding a quality mattress for sciatica sufferers. This is because what may work for one person may not benefit someone else.
It is beneficial for your mattress to have some quality firmness to it. This can provide more support to cradle your pressure points without overwhelming them.
Hybrid mattress with memory foam and coils create balance between comfort and firmness. It usually offers mid-level firmness, an amount ideal for those with sciatica problems.
A mattress that is too hard will impact the pressure relief around your hips and shoulders. Your pelvic region can rise, which may lead to greater sciatica pain. So, finding that balance in firmness and softness is key to having a quality mattress.
How well a mattress holds up determines how often you’ll be replacing that mattress.
Many memory foam mattresses come with a 10+ year warranty attached. In the event something does happen, it’s easy to get a replacement without added fees.
Still, it can provide peace of mind to have a mattress that holds up well through frequent use. Quality mattresses conform to the body without leaving an indention in the mattress.
These mattresses should maintain their shape in the event other people lie on it.
Top 5 Best Mattresses for Sciatica
This mattress features pressure-relieving memory foam and a high-density, cool gel memory foam. Both create a plush, soft foundation to lie on. Even with the cool gel though, it’s possible for some heat to develop on the top layer.
The memory foam aims to conform to your body whether you sleep on your side or on your back. With its softness, it doesn’t create pressure points to wear on your body.
For some users, like seniors, the softness may make it difficult to grip the edges to get out of the bed though. Yet, the bed may develop some firmness over time. Since it conforms to the body, the firmness may be more tailored to the user to make it more comfortable.
- Useful in reducing pressure at sore points
- Setup is easy and fast to do
- Conforms well to the body to form a balance between softness and firmness
- May still build up heat over time
- The edges may be too soft for some users
This hypoallergenic mattress provides a medium-plush feel. Underneath the soft memory foam is a firm layer intended to improve support. The layers all work together to provide greater balance of support and comfort.
With that said, the edge support could use some improvement to help more people get up. Also, some report that it may feel a tad too firm, but it may come down to personal preference.
The bamboo charcoal and Aloe Vera infusion minimizes odors and reduces skin moisture. Along with the steel coil, this provides the mattress with better airflow.
- Provides a good firm supportive layer
- Free of any harsh chemical odors
- Manages to isolate movement well
- Offers minimal edge support
- Might be too heavy for some users to move on their own
The Signature Sleep Memoir mattress supports people who sleep in many sleeping positions. The mattress has a two inch layer of memory foam followed by a six inch layer of high-density foam.
It features a soft cover that features breathable fabric to help keep you cool. Yet, the cover is not removable, which might make it difficult for cleaning purposes down the road.
The mattress is eco-friendly and helps distribute weight throughout to reduce pressure points. Support is more balanced even if you toss and turn. Additionally, there is minimal movement transfer for those who share the bed.
- Has a suitable amount of firmness
- Mattress rolls out to full-size in a short amount of time after opening it
- Ideal support for many sleeping positions
- Unable to remove outer cover for cleaning
- Foam may soften up too much over time with frequent use
The Live and Sleep Memory Foam Mattress is medium to medium-firm. The foam doesn’t take long to conform to your body. There are dual elements that contribute to proper support and improve your posture.
This mattress has orthopedic support, beneficial for side, back, or stomach sleepers. There is little motion disturbance felt for those who share a bed.
Though the mattress is high in quality, the sides don’t feel as supportive as the rest. The mattress also keeps warm by retaining body heat, though that can build up too much for some people.
- Doesn’t take long for the mattress to conform to your body
- Retains its shape well
- Offers zero motion transfer
- Mattress can get warm in spite of the cooling feature
- Sides feel a bit weaker to the rest of the mattress
With the Linenspa Memory Foam and Innerspring Hybrid Mattress, you can experience comfort and firmness all in one. It’s medium-firm to suit different people. Yet, some may feel it still comes across as too firm.
There is plush layer of contouring memory foam that helps align the spine and give you a more restful sleep. There are little pressure points as well so you can go to sleep and stay asleep with minimal or no discomfort.
It is a low-profile design, and the longevity of the mattress remains questionable. Knowing this, it might be able to serve a child’s room or guest room well. It takes only a couple of hours to inflate as well so you can get it setup fast.
- Minimizes pressure points
- Hybrid design prevents the mattress from overheating
- Inflates at a good speed
- Might not have the best durability for frequent use over time
- Can get too firm for some
All the mattresses on our top five list may allow for a better sleep with your sciatica pain, but the LUCID 10in. Hybrid Mattress is our recommendation as the best mattress for sciatica.
It provides a good mixture of support and comfort and relieves pressure in the hips and back. The balance of springs and memory foam provides quality motion transfer.
The bamboo charcoal and Aloe Vera infusion also stop odors and reduce skin moisture.
Last Updated on